Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1: The Crucible Chapter One: Something Wicked - Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Robert Hack, Jack Morelli

I almost feel like I can't gush about this book enough. In fact, I know I've already recommended it several times. This is definitely not the Sabrina the Teenage Witch I remember. This Sabrina is dark and twisted and bloody and gory and... you get the point right.

Sabrina's father was a strong and powerful warlock who defied the Witch Council and married a mortal. Together, they produced Sabrina. But when he wanted to hand his baby daughter over to the witches, his wife protested and thus she was rendered permanently insane. Something then happens to her father leaving Sabrina to be raised by her two aunts. In addition, her father's ex, now "The Mistress of Hell" returns and desires nothing more than to seek revenge on Sabrina and further ruin her life.

The story line is dark and intriguing, which really matches the artwork. This graphic novel is not for the faint of heart as there is blood and nudity throughout. One bright spot is Sabrina's familiar, Salem, who is the only voice of reason I found in the entire book. There is even a crossover story line with Betty and Veronica from Riverdale - of course they are witches though.

Anyone who loves horror simply must grab a copy of this novel any way they can. The next compilation isn't released until mid-December which is WAY too long to wait. Counting the days...